Tuesday 1 December 2015

Graham Clarke: How do we read a photograph? key notes

Another key reading that I have looked at in order to help steer my own project is How to read a Photograph by Graham Clarke. In this Clarke suggests that we should read a photograph, not as an image but as a text. He explains how a photograph is itself the product of the photographer and is always the reflection of a specific point of view. Clarke also states that a photographer doesn't just take photos in a passive sense, it is to impose, steal, recreate the scene according to a cultural discourse and the photographers views. This reading has helped me to understand that as people should read photographs as a text, I as the photographer should construct them as one too and that I should do this by recreating the scene of my subject in a way that I feel necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment