Thursday 3 December 2015

The Gaze in Photography

I have also researched the gaze in photography to try and enhance my understanding of how to successfully take the photographs that I am planning on taking. Through my research I have learnt that there is a gaze in almost all photographs whether it is intentional or not, there tends to be a key focus in all of these. There are many types of gazes, two which occur very much in photography are the male and female gaze. The male gaze refers to the way visual arts are structured around a male viewer and depicts the world and women from a males point of view. The female gaze is the same concept but reversed (seeing the world from a woman's point of view). I will keep these concepts in mind when taking my own photographs. Also, the fact that I know there will most likely be a gaze that the viewers gaze is naturally drawn to, I can manipulate the photograph in a way that I choose what point they are looking at. I am able to do this through techniques such as the rule of thirds, where the focus of the photograph can be chosen by creating a square grid and having an object on a specific corner on the grid.


No comments:

Post a Comment