Tuesday 1 December 2015

Stuart Hall: The work of Representation key notes

In this reading Stuart Hall helps to explain what representation actually is. He gives more that one definition. Firstly, he describes it as the production of meaning through language and secondly, to represent is to depict or describe something, to call it up in the mind of description, portrayal or imagination. When representing a specific group or location in my project, like said in the specification, I shall keep these definitions in mind and think of how I can represent my subject in the light of these definitions. The reading also states how visual signs and images carry meaning and thus have to be interpreted, meaning that through my photographs I can create my own signs to be interpreted by the audience to tell a story.

No comments:

Post a Comment